CAMP CLINTON / POW CAMP CLINTON, MISSISSIPPI
From 1942 to 1946 more than 400,000 German, Italian, and Japanese prisoners of war (PWs) were interned in the United States. Of that number, approximately 20,000 were held in camps in Mississippi. Located just south of the town of Clinton was one of these PW camps. Camp Clinton, as it was designated, became "home" to more than 3,000 German soldiers captured in World War II.