Lava horse rescue

Lava horse rescue

Interesting article on the rescue of domestic animals, and then a Go Fund Me page about horses on the volcano-affected side of the Big Island. Of course, there is also a wish list on Amazon for the Hawaii Island Humane Society.

Not being a farmer or rancher, I have a different perspective on care and treatment of animals. It seems to me, that if one registers, grooms, names, or provides medical care, or if one is dependent on that animal for draft work or income, one necessarily assumes responsibility for and of, those animals.

Something probably no one thinks about unless one is a horse person. If one is a horse person, or even has more than a couple of pets, one needs a plan to evacuate them. I have several dogs that can fit in our cars so I think I would be able to take them in case of an evacuation from my house. The fish in the pond will just have to make due.

A failure to consider and prepare for moving one’s animals is short-sighted and perhaps negligent. I’m glad that we are seeing that the cattle and horses are being taken care of by others. Other ranchers and stables or boarding stables seem to be helping out.

www.gofundme.com/feed-the-horses-dispalced-by-lava

www.amazon.com/registry/wishlist/LUKQX6UHIWYP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_-0YRyb29CSYKX

Lava horse rescue

Reply From: Debra To: PhilB 2018-05-26

While I was watching the live feed the other day on civilbeat.com, the home owner suddenly exclaimed that there was a horse running on his property and for the for someone to please call the ASPCA. Hopefully that horse was rescued. I did make a small donation to the gofundme page that you linked and I hope they reach their goal and can care for the animals

The output of the lava just seems to be increasing and the destruction is terrible. We are fortunate here on Oahu that, at most, we have gotten just a few voggy days in the midst of all of this. It has also been good to see the people of the Big Island rallying to help their neighbors in lower Puna but it is going to be difficult for so many of them to have to start anew in a different place. My prayers are with the community.

Scroll to Top